Understanding the world supports the children’s personal knowledge and experiences of the world around them and their community
· Having an awareness of their family members– including grandparents, cousins, aunts and uncles.
· An awareness of their community– Where they live, street/town/city and how to travel around.
· What’s in their community-places to go and things to do - park/library, museum /zoo or farm trips
· Being aware of people who can help us and what they do- Police Officers/Firefighters, Doctors/ Nurses/Post Office/Postal worker
· Building knowledge through new experiences extends their language and ideas
· Being around new language and words that supports a children’s curiosity and interests.
· Extending language and ideas through stories and play.
· A range of books from non-fiction (Factual), stories & Poems helps support children’s understanding of cultural, social, technological and diverse world.
· Use technology alongside an adult to explore the world