For Children and Families
Alumwell Nursery School is the data controller of the personal information you provide us with, or where this is provided by other organisations.
This means the Nursery school is responsible for deciding how your personal information used. We refer to your information as “personal data” and when we use your information in different ways, this is called “processing”. The Data Protection Act 2018 (incorporating the General Data Protection Regulation) is the law that outlines how personal data should be protected and used appropriately by organisations.
Purpose for Processing and Lawful Basis
We collect information from you and may receive information about you from your previous school and the Local Authority (Walsall Council) and / or the Department for Education (DfE).
The lawful basis under which we process your personal information under article 6 of the GDPR are:
- To cooperate with and conform to UK law or another legal obligation to which the School is subject
- To carry out a task in the public interest or the exercise of official authority vested in the controller
When we process special category (sensitive) data, we rely on the following lawful basis under article 9 of the GDPR:
- Processing is necessary for the purpose of carrying out obligations in the field of social protection law;
- Processing is necessary for reasons of substantial public interest;
There may also be occasions when we use and/or share your information in order to protect you or another individual and to prevent serious harm.
In some cases and only where necessary, your personal data will be shared with other people, organisations or companies. Where this is necessary, we are responsible for ensuring that the same data protection standards are upheld by other organisations involved in processing your personal data.
If sharing your personal data is not mandatory but may be required for you, or your child to engage with additional services or take part in school events, we will seek your permission (consent) prior to sharing. This may include but is not limited to: -
- Taking photographs which may be published externally, for example on the school website or newsletter
- Taking part in activities such as day visits or sporting events where consent is required
- Sharing with third party support services which are not compulsory or essential but may provide a benefit
The categories of personal data that we process include:
- personal identifiers and contacts (such as name, unique pupil number, National Insurance numbers, contact details and address)
- characteristics (such as ethnicity, language, and free school meal eligibility)
- safeguarding information (such as court orders and professional involvement)
- images (such as photographs and CCTV images)
- special educational needs (including statutory assessment and review)
- medical and administration (such as doctors information, child health, dental health, allergies, medication and dietary requirements)
- attendance (such as sessions attended, number of absences, absence reasons and any previous schools attended)
- statutory assessment and attainment
- behavioural information (such as exclusions and any relevant alternative provision put in place)
- Photographs and images
How we share information
We only share information about you with carefully selected organisations, or individuals where it is necessary to do so and there is a clear lawful basis which supports the sharing.
Some examples of why we may use your information include but are not limited to:
- Report on census data to the DFE
- Assess your eligibility for 30 hour funding and 2 year funding
- Assess your eligibility for pupil premium.
- School Management Information System (SIMS) maintained by Walsall Local Authority
Who we share information with
We regularly share information with the following organisations and individuals: -
- Other Parents. We may also from time to time share your child’s information such as in photos or early interventions with other children as part of our role in providing parents with updates and support such as our “Early Learning Journey” books. Books may contain images of your child playing or interacting with other children and parents are strongly advised that these books are created and shared with you for your own personal use and are not to be shared elsewhere or via social media as we must all respect the confidentiality and privacy of our children.
- School Management Information System (SIMS) maintained by Walsall Local Authority. This is a Management information System used by schools. It provides teachers, senior leaders and support staff with the tools to effectively manage daily school life. http://www.capita-sims.co.uk/privacy-statement
- Walsall Grid for Learning (WGfL) is a centralised portal and IT provision for the Walsall region enabling access to the latest appropriate technology for schools across Walsall http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwji6rWkyJbbAhXPERQKHfn2CzoQFggnMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Furlm.co.uk%2Fwww.walsallgfl.org.uk&usg=AOvVaw2FZTFUQrMVt8x7ugKgc_mv
- LA ICT helps WGfL deliver the technology and connectivity to Alumwell Nursery School and to many other schools across Walsall http://la-ict.com/privacy/
- School Pupil Tracker is the complete assessment education software package supporting entry, analysis and sharing of pupil progress and attainment data through the Early Years-http://www.spto.co.uk/schoolpupiltracker/documents/privacy_policy.pdf
- Health Agencies-https://www.walsallhealthcare.nhs.uk/privacy-cookies.aspx
- Children’s Services-https://go.walsall.gov.uk/privacy_statement
- Local Authorities-https://go.walsall.gov.uk/privacy_statement
- Department for Education-https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/esfa-privacy-notice
- Educational Providers (Feeder Schools)
- Primary Site Leading provider of primary school website design and hosting-https://primarysite.net/sa/privacy-policy/
- Parent pay https://www.parentpay.com/parentpay-and-gdpr/
- Teachers2parents https://www.teachers2parents.co.uk/public/teachers/privacypolicy.html.nocache
- CPOMs http://www.cpoms.co.uk/privacy-statement/
- 2Simple https://www.2simple.com/privacy
Information shared with Local and Central Government
We are required by law to pass some information about you to the Local Authority and the Department for Education (DfE). If you want to see a copy of the information that we hold and/or share, please contact our School Office email@example.com.
There may also be occasion when we will share your information with relevant third parties when required to do so by law. All people with access to your information will do so under strict adherence to Data Protection law, adequate safeguards and appropriate authorisation.
If you require more information about how the Local Authority (LA) and /or DfE store and use your information, then please go to the following websites: -
Retention Period Policy
The information held on your child is retained in-line with our ‘School retention Policy’. Data is then erased except where it is ‘statistical’ and ‘anonymised’ – meaning it is number based (data) and has no relation to you or any other individual
Your Data Protection Rights
The Data Protection Act 2018 provides you with the following rights with regard to your personal information.
Right to be informed
You have the right to know the following: -
- What information the School intends to collect
- Why the School need your information
- The lawful basis under which the School can process your information
- How the School will process your information
- Whether the School will share your information
- Who the School might share your information with
- How long the School will retain your information and how you can contact us
This Privacy Notice should have detailed all of the above but if for any reason you are dissatisfied with our stewardship of your information, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioners Office (ICO), contact details are provided below.
Access to your information
If you would like to know what information we hold and process about you, the category of information, who we share your information with, to ascertain the accuracy of the information and criteria we apply in processing your information, you can make a request to us in writing, using the ‘Subject Access Request Form’ which is available on the School’s web-site. A response should be received within 1 month from the date that we accept your application for processing and for information containing, in whole or in part, a pupil’s ‘educational record’, a response will be provided within 15 school days
Subject Access Requests and Freedom of Information requests will be processed when the school re-opens after the school holiday period
To make a subject access request and receive a copy of your personal information, please contact: -
School Administration Office
or follow the below link
Please be aware we may need you to provide appropriate identification, for example photo driving license, passport, utility bill. The school should respond to your request within 1 month of receipt but if the request is complex and more time is required, we will inform you in writing.
Rectification of your Information
If it is established that information we hold about you is incorrect, you have the right to request that we correct this information.
Erasure of your Information
In cases where the information held about you is no longer required in relation to the purpose for which it was collected and where there are no lawful grounds for holding your information, you can request an erasure of information.
The Right to Restrict Processing
You can restrict us from using your information if you believe the data is inaccurate or if there are no lawful grounds for using the information; however you may not want us to delete the information. In addition you can prevent us from deleting information we no longer use or need, if you require it for a legal claim or defence.
Following investigation, if it is determined that the right to restrict processing should not apply the School will inform you of reasons for this before the restriction is lifted.
Right to Data Portability
If lawful basis for processing is performance of a contract or consent you have the right to request that information be transferred to another public authority or other controller. Your data portability request will have to be made in writing and we will assess your request in accordance with the provisions of the GDPR to ascertain if your request is covered under the law. Our response will contain our decision regarding the viability of your request and asking you to choose between the following: -
- If you want the information handed to you
- If you would like the information transferred directly to the public authority or other controller
Right of Complaint
You have the right to lodge a complaint to the Information Commissioners Office (ICO). Full information about this is available at https://ico.org.uk/concerns/handling/
Right to Object
If you object to the School using your information in the ways detailed above, we will cease to process your information unless we can show there are legitimate reasons which override your interests.
Whether or not you have legitimate grounds to object to the processing of your information, the School will respond to your request within one month stating that your request has been upheld or the reasons for not upholding your request should that be is the case.
Alumwell Nursery School’s Data Protection Officer (DPO) is Paul Withers. If you have any questions about your rights under the GDPR, how the School uses your information or you wish to make a complaint about how we have processed or utilised your data, Paul Withers will be able to help. How to contact our DPO: -
Office of the DPO
Resources & Transformation
Civic Centre 3rd Floor (HR Suite)
Email Address: Informationmgmt@walsall.gov.uk
Contact Telephone Number: 01922 650970
Should you be dissatisfied with the response you receive, you can contact the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) with the details given below:
Information Commissioner’s Office
Use the online form via this link https://ico.org.uk/global/contact-us/email/
Calling from within the UK 0303 123 1113 (local rate), or 01625 545 745 if you prefer to use a national rate
Calling from outside the UK +44 1625 545 745
If you would like to discuss anything in this Privacy Notice, please contact the school office.
Current Version: Thursday 18st October 2018
- Covid 19
- Home Learning Links
- Bilingual stories
- Nursery Rhymes/Songs
- Home learning links new 3/4 years old Jan2021
- Home learning links new 2 year olds Jan 2021
- Alumwellies home learning links for 2 year olds
- Information for Parents
- Parent Support Worker
- Funding for 2,3 and 4 year olds
- British Values
- Forest School
- Meet Our Governors
- Ofsted Reports
- Pupil Premium
- School Direct
- Useful Web Links
- Want to be an Early Years Practitioner or Teacher
- Privacy Notice
- Job Vacancies
- Supporting Mental Health
Alumwell Nursery School, Primley Avenue,Walsall,WS2 9UP. Tel :01922 721264 Headteacher:Armela Patel